Most manufactured products today are mixtures of several components. Generally, the individual ingredients in a mixture will separate (segregate) during the manufacturing process which results in an inconsistent final product. Segregation, or separation, of granular powder materials is one of the main causes of process failure with systems that handle powder materials. Conservative estimates suggest up to 30% of all unscheduled downtimes are due to segregation and quality issues.
Using state-of-the-art spectroscopic technology, the innovative SPECTester is capable of analyzing a sample comprised of up to six individual components and provides a simple report indicating why and how much the sample material is segregating. Fully automated, the instrument provides data about component concentrations, particle size differences, and product uniformity. The SPECTester is capable of measuring segregation by particle size, sifting, fluidization, angle of repose, chemical component, and air entrainment. It is fully capable of identifying both primary and secondary segregation mechanisms. The SPECTester can be used in R&D environments to research a materials properties prior to going into production as well as in production plants for real-time quality control. Key features of the SPECTester include:
What Information Do We Get From the SPECTester?
- Measurement of mixtures with up to six components
- Fully-automated operation with reports of how much the material mixture is segregating
- Optional fluidization module quantifies segregation potential of fluidized beds
- Provides data on variations in component concentration, particle size, and product uniformity
- 50 segregation points measured across the sample bed
- Simulates process conditions to identify segregation by sifting, fluidization, angle of repose, and air entrapment
- Indicates product quality control issues
- Provides uniformity index for sample and segregation variance data
- Data can be exported to PDF and Excel formats
- Fast analysis – 10 to 30 minutes to complete a run depending on the sample and application
- USB Interface
- CE compliant